Thursday, October 04, 2007

Removal from Google's Index

Yesterday, I received an email from Google regarding some questionable content on my website. I operate a small classified ads site, so the majority of my content is free ads.

The Googlebot found an ad with some hidden text (text using the same color as my site) on the site. Actually, it wasn't the exact same color but the Googlebot found it anyways. After further investigation, I found 3 more ads out of 40k that had some more funny looking text. Also, there was one ad that used a "dash" but it was actually a url -- very tiny font.

I guess I could have cleaned up those pages and then later resubmit for Google re-inclusion, but I simply deleted them.

Here's what Google said to me followed by the hidden text gibberish.

"Google Search Quality <noreply AT google.com>
wrote: Dear site owner or webmaster of freeadlists.com,

While we were indexing your webpages, we detected that some of your pages were using techniques that were outside our quality guidelines, which can be found here: http://www.google.com/webmasters/guidelines.html

In order to preserve the quality of our search engine, we have temporarily removed some webpages from our search results. Currently pages from freeadlists.com are scheduled to be removed for at least 30 days.

Specifically, we detected the following practices on your webpages:

* The following hidden text on freeadlists.com:

e.g.

BA We suffered horribly on the plains of the Cayster, sleeping under tent, stretched deliciously on fine chariots, half dead with weariness. Dicaeopolis [aside] And I was very much at ease, lying on the straw along the battlements! Ambassador Everywhere we were well received and forced to drink delicious wine out of golden or crystal flagons..... Dicaeopolis [aside] Oh, city of Cranaus, thy ambassadors are laughing at thee! Ambassador For great feeders and heavy drinkers are alone esteemed as men by the barbarians. Dicaeopolis [aside] Just as here in Athens, we only esteem the wenchers and pederasts. Ambassador At the end of the fourth year we reached the King's Court, but he had left with his whole army to take a crap, and for the space of eight months he was thus sitting on the can in the midst of the golden mountains. Dicaeopolis [aside] And how long did it take him to close his arse?
....
....
....
....
We would prefer to have your pages in Google's index. If you wish to be reincluded, please correct or remove all pages that are outside our quality guidelines. When you are ready, please visit:

https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/reinclusion?hl=en

to learn more and request a reconsideration request.

Sincerely,
Google Search Quality Team"

4 comments:

mp3 said...

yeah dude Google do what tjey want up and down the whole time

James said...

Wow!
You are lucky they let you know why. Most of the time no one knows why or what to do to get re indexed.
Seems like a small problem though.

esofthub said...

mp3, I couldn't agree with you more about Google doing whatever the heck they want. We are like mere pawns in their court. I do understand it's their SE, so it's their prerogative.

Personally, I don't have any intentions of cheating their algorithm. I certainly don't need to. :)

Eventually, they will have some serious competition and things will change.

Thanks for your comment.

esofthub said...

james, I've been told that several times by others, and I should just count my blessings. :)

I think Google realized it wasn't intentionally because it was done by a poster. I took quick remedial measures--removed it.

Frankly speaking, I still don't understand what all the honeycomb--didn't even know that was a color--colored hidden text was about. It was plain gibberish. I guess the poster thought it optimized his/her ad.

After the incident, the visitor count for the classified ads website dropped dramatically but now it's bouncing back. I guess there was time to spend in the penalty box.:) Oh well. But surprisingly, my indexing improved with Yahoo during this time period...