Sunday, December 23, 2007

Yahoo's Storage Meter is Now History


That's the message I found today in my Yahoo email account. I was checking my Yahoo.com email account, which I have had since 1999, when I inadvertently noticed this message: "The storage meter is now history." At first, I ignored it as just another solicitation, but then I observed the storage meter missing at the top-right corner of my email page. When I signed on, Yahoo never indicated a storage increase.

I wonder if newbie yahoo accounts are getting the same deal. Perhaps, as a test, I could create another yahoo account, but then again, I need another email account like I need a hole in my head.

And for Yahoo's competitors that I have email accounts with…

First, I checked my Gmail account to see if they had followed in lockstep. Well, the answer is, Not Yet...

Here's Gmail's storage message: "Lots of space
Over 5986.336396 megabytes (and counting) of free storage so you'll never need to delete another message." I have to agree that almost 6GB of climbing email capacity is "Lots of space" :)

Lastly, I checked my oldest email account (1997), which is on Hotmail. I still have a static 5GB.

Frankly speaking, I was a bit surprised Yahoo jumped ahead of Google's Gmail on this one. It's usually the other way around. I guess Yahoo is giving us unlimited email storage as an early holidays present. :) Thanks Yahoo.com

1 comment:

Patient Writer said...

Did you know that Yahoo Mail's search function doesn't work, hasn't worked since it was brought out over two years ago, and that a LOT of users are fuming while Yahoo refuses public comment? I thought you might be interested in my blog (http://icsr.blogspot.com) since it links to a related article of yours about Yahoo Mail.